Ben Webster – Stormy Weather (Black Lion / Pallas Audiophile pressing)
- Release details
A few months after moving from America. That's the time it took a reinvigorated Ben Webster to conquer Cafe Montmarte, a Copenhagen stage, during a marathon performance in January 1965, the standout highlights from which are collected on this exhilarating release. Backed by pianist Kenny Drew and a rhythm section comprised of young European lions, the tenor saxophonist swings and stings through originals and standards, riffing off of bluesy and bop-themed phrases while blowing hard and heavy on uptempo pieces. On slower compositions, Webster turns each note into a mini-symphony, full of distinguished character and preeminent tonality. What a gas.
Originally released by the UK label Black Lion, an imprint that specialized in resurrecting rare gems from US jazz and blues legends, Stormy Weather stands as an unequivocal example of Webster's dynamic live prowess and a cant-miss opportunity for collectors and enthusiasts to get closer to the man and his music. Orchestrated by ORG Music, this historical reissue is afforded the ultimate in audiophile production standards, resulting in sonics and presentation befitting the museum-like worth of this record's existence.
Mastered from the original master tapes at Bernie Grundman Studios by Chris Bellman and pressed at Pallas, the 180g LP was curated by legendary engineer Steve Hoffman and eq'd by Grundman himself. A better team you cannot find; every step involved serious quality-control measures to guarantee gorgeous sound. The superb vinyl jacket features exclusive artwork. Indeed, this is what being a collector is all about.
Sure, the title may not be as widely known as some of Webster's other works, but it's a killer. And this reissue preserves vital music that will be enjoyed by generations to come. Consider it a buried treasure that, miraculously, has resurfaced in better condition than that when it was originally made.
- Jazz fans, Webster devotees, audiophiles, and music fanatics, don't sleep on this collectable gem!
- Black Lion Records Essential Reissue Series!
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman, Cut by Chris Bellman, Sound & Engineering Consultation by Steve Hoffman! Pressed at Pallas on 180 Gram Vinyl!
- The Frog Lets Loose: Marathon 1965 Copenhagen Show Yields Unforgettable Bluesy and Bop Phrasing, Ballads That Come Across as Mini-Symphonies
- Tantalizing Audiophile Restoration Series Resurrects UK Label Black Lion: Mastered at Bernie Grundman Studios by Chris Bellman and Pressed at Pallas
- EQ Notes and Curation Performed by Iconic Engineer Steve Hoffman; LPs EQd and Set Up by Bernie Grundman
- Conceived, Designed, and Manufactured for Collectors and Enthusiasts: Vinyl Jacket Features Exclusive Art
A1 Our Love Is Here To Stay
A2 My Romance
A3 Blues For Herluf
A4 Londonderry Air
A5 Mack The Knife
B1 I Can'T Get Started
B2 The Theme
B3 Friskin' The Frog
B4 Stormy Weather
B5 Teach Me Tonight
C1 Our Love Is Here To Stay
C2 My Romance
D1 Blues For Herluf
D2 Londonderry Air
D3 Mack The Knife
E1 I Can'T Get Started
E2 The Theme
E3 Friskin' The Frog
F1 Stormy Weather
F2 Teach Me Tonight